- What is Osteoarthritis?
- What are my Options?
- Find A Clinic
- Who can help me?
- Our Experts
Find A Clinic
Find a clinic near you to book your FREE 15 minute consultation
We have partnered with a number of clinics across the UK to offer you a FREE 15 minute consultation on your knee pain as we know that untreated knee pain can be debilitating and life limiting.
Visit our interactive map by clicking the link below and get in touch with a clinic near you to arrange your consultation today.
Your consultation may be over the phone or in person depending on what your chosen clinic's preference is.
What is Knee Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease causing joints to wear down
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease also commonly referred to as arthrosis, osteoarthrosis or OA. The condition is caused by the protective fluid in the joint losing its shock absorbing abilities resulting in the bones rubbing against each other and the cartilage that protects the ends of the bones wearing down. Sufferers often experience pain, swelling and problems with mobility.
- Stage 1: (Doubtful) Minimum disruption but sufferers experience a 10% loss of cartilage.
- Stage 2 (Mild): Narrowing of the joint space with the cartilage beginning to breakdown and the occurrence of osteophytes (a bony projection associated with the degeneration of cartilage at joints).
- Stage 3 (Moderate): Moderate joint-space reduction where the gaps in the cartilage can expand until they reach the bone.
- Stage 4 (Severe): The joint-space is greatly reduced with around 60% loss of cartilage and large osteophytes.
Any joint in the body can be affected by OA but the most common damage is found in the knees, hips, lower back, neck, fingers and toes.
Our focus is knee osteoarthritis
Due to an increasing number of people suffering with knee pain and being diagnosed with osteoarthritis, a network of expert organisations has teamed up to establish OA Knee Pain. Our aim is to provide help and guidance along with all the information you may need about the condition to help you understand diagnosis, treatment options and management.
- Arthritis Solutions
- Osteotomy Expert Group
- Welsh Bone (Orthopaedic Surgeons in Wales)