- What is Osteoarthritis?
- Our Experts
- Find a Clinic
- Information Hub & Resource Centre
About Dr Claire Minshull
Claire is one of the most highly respected rehabilitation specialists in the UK. She has over 20 years of experience working in academia, the NHS and in leading research roles. She designed, led and managed major clinical and non-clinical research trials, supervised several PhD students and developed undergraduate and postgraduate courses in injury management and rehabilitation. Claire has published over 30 research papers in leading peer-reviewed scientific journals, is regularly invited to speak at national and international academic and professional symposia, writes for sports magazines and, serves as expert reviewer for many scientific peer-reviewed journals.
Claire is passionate about improving the way in which we deal with MSK conditions in the community and she has won entrepreneurial (Entrepreneurial Spark, powered by Nat West) and innovation awards (Innovate UK; Women in Innovation) for her innovative approach. She is also a member of, and is supported by the West Midlands Academic Health Science Network.
Claire’s area of expertise means that she uniquely spans the gap between the physiology of conditioning and physiotherapeutic rehabilitation and she founded Get Back To Sport to enable the transference of research findings into enhancing practice.Get Back To Sport now has an international teaching profile and a respect and credibility with major UK clinicians and commissioners.
- PGCHE [Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education]
- BSc Sports Science
Example Invited Keynotes & Presentations
- Spire Healthcare: Edinburgh & Lothian Physiotherapy Masterclass, Murrayfield, February 2018
- ACRM Annual Conference: September Dallas 2018
- Therapy Expo, November 2018 (x 3) [Plus 2016 & 2017]
- Sterling Physio First Physiotherapy Conference, November 2018 (x2)
- BodyPower Fitness Trade Show, Birmingham 2017
- DSM Nutrition, SCI: Lipids and Health 2016
- Higher Education Seminars: Lower Limb Expert Symposia, 2016 (Porstmouth); 2017 (Manchester)
- Edinburgh Articular Cartilage Symposium, Royal College of Surgeons 2014; 2015
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapists: Extended Scope Practitioners Annual Conference, 2015
- She Kicks – Women’s Football Magazine: Injury & Rehab features writer, 2016
- Regular contributions to: BBC Radio Nottingham; Notts TV; BBC East Midlands Today
- Innovate UK / Infocus: Women in Innovation Grant Award. “Highly Commended”: Innovations in Musculoskeletal Injury Management (Dec 2016)
- Private Physiotherapy Education Fund: Grant awarded £28,200. Rehabilitation research The Efficacy of Rehabilitation Exercise on the Non-operative Limb Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction (EFCOR) (Jan 2016)
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapter
Conditioning Efficacy; A Road Map for Optimising Outcomes in Performance Based Rehabilitation (2018) (In Press).Elsevier, New York.
[Above is Elsevier’s new major sports medicine text book: pitched as the new ‘bible’ for all physiotherapy and rehabilitation students and newly-qualified therapists]
Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Considerations of the Principles of Resistance Training in Exercise Studies for the Management of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. (2017) 98(9):1842-1851
A Systematic Review of the Role of Vitamin D on Neuromuscular Remodelling Following Exercise and Injury. Calcif Tissue Int. (2016) 98(5):426-37
β-Alanine supplementation enhances human skeletal muscle relaxation speed but not force production capacity. J Appl Physiol (2015) 1;118(5):604-12
Explosive hamstrings-to-quadriceps force ratio of males versus females. Eur J Appl Physiol. (2015) 115(4):837-47
Improvement of outcomes with nonconcurrent strength and cardiovascular-endurance rehabilitation conditioning after ACI surgery to the knee. J Sport Rehabil. (2014) 23(3):235-43
Clinical Trial: The Efficacy of Contralateral Muscle Rehabilitation Exercise Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction (the EFCOR trial). Lead researcher.
Consultancy on rehabilitation & conditioning plus muscle performance assessments of athletes rehabilitating and returning to competition across a range of sports, including:
- Premier League & Champion League Football
- Olympic Hurdling and Middle Distance Running
- English Rugby
BASES (British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences)
CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)
Keele University UK, PROP OA: (Provision of braces for Patients with knee Osteoarthritis: a randomised controlled trial): Clinical advisory board member.
National/International Sporting Accolades
- Great Britain Powerlifting Champion (60kg)
- National League Basketball; Doncaster Panthers
- Great Britain Octopush (Underwater Hockey)
Here are a collection of videos which Dr Claire Minshull has created for OA Knee Pain.